Easy access is crucial for utilising your attic, whether it is for storage or to add an extra room to your house. Finding the right ladder that suits your needs and fits in with the aesthetic of your home is incredibly important.
Before you decide, it is important to consider your use for the ladder so you can decide if you need a folding or a sliding ladder. Folding ladders are better for frequent use and require less space to store making them perfect for usable spaces such as playrooms and studies. Sliding ladders, on the other hand, are more commonly used for storage as they are more difficult to manoeuvre and are bulkier.
Another factor to consider when choosing an attic ladder is the material it’s made from. Both wood and aluminium ladders are commonly used, however, the best material depends on your needs. We have outlined the advantages and disadvantages of each material to help you decide which one is right for you.
Advantages of a wood ladder:
-Strong – Wooden ladders are renowned for being incredibly strong. They can withstand greater weights than alternatives making them perfect if you want to carry heavy loads up to your attic.
– Sturdy – Due to their extra strength, wooden attic ladders are sturdier making them easier to climb up and down. This provides added safety, so they tend to be more popular when used by children or the elderly.
– Durable – Wood is a long-lasting material that is unlikely to break, even with frequent use and heavy loads.
– Stylish – Wooden ladders have a traditional look that fits in with common styles of interior décor. Wood has a typically cosy feel which many people opt for when deciding on a material for their attic ladder.
Disadvantages of a wood ladder:
– Difficult to move – While they are strong and sturdy, wood ladders are larger and heavier than alternatives making them difficult to move.
– More expensive – Wood ladders tend to be more expensive than their aluminium counterparts. It is possible to buy cheaper wood ladders however they will not be as durable.
– Prone to moisture and temperature damage – The nature of a wooden attic ladder means they are more likely to be impacted by humidity and temperature changes. However, a good quality wood is less likely to get damaged.
Advantages of an aluminium ladder:
– Lightweight – Aluminium is a very lightweight material making it easier to move for people who struggle to lift heavy objects. They also look smaller than wood ladders making them less obvious when they are out.
– Cheaper – Aluminium ladders are a cheaper option than wood ladders while still being good quality and unlikely to break.
– Rust resistant – Unlike other metals, aluminium is rust resistant so it can stand the test of time, even in humid environments.
Disadvantages of aluminium ladders:
– Less sturdy – While aluminium is strong, it cannot withstand as much weight as a wooden ladder making them less sturdy. They can also feel flimsy when climbing up and down, which is not ideal for those who struggle to climb ladders.
– Noisy – When moving an aluminium ladder, they are very loud and make an unpleasant noise. This is an important factor to consider if you will be accessing the attic frequently.
– Industrial look – Aluminium ladders are often criticised for looking unappealing due to their industrial feel. They are less likely to fit in with your interior décor making them an eyesore.
As you can tell, there are lots of important things to consider when deciding on an attic ladder. Both wood and aluminium ladders have their merits and faults, but both are a long-lasting and reliable options.
Wooden ladders are better for those who have a traditional, cosy home and want to keep their attic ladder in keeping with this theme. They are also suitable for people who need a sturdy option that can withstand heavy objects and regular use. This makes wood ladders perfect for attic conversions and useable space.
On the other hand, aluminium ladders are more suited to individuals who want a lightweight, easy to move attic ladder. Hence, they are a good choice when an attic is used for storage.
LB Supplies have a range of attic ladders available to give you easy access to your attic space. If you would like more advice about attic ladders or a loft conversion, do not hesitate to get in touch with our team.